MapLinx or ESRI Buisness Map OSS Replacement

Oren Beck orenbeck at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 10:34:10 CST 2006

On 11/20/06, Jeremy Fowler <JFowler at westrope.com> wrote:

> Is this flame bait?
>
> Seriously,... WTF?

Hardly to be considered as flamebait. Consider it as FUD suppressing.
Let's get real folks ! We currently have a reactionary and repressive to
divergent
 lifestyles society. Saying otherwise is dishonest. Proceeding from that
flat fact?

I can offer an alternate single concept ending to this post which gets
restated as it's point.
So read the one liner and quit -or follow my logic and constructive dialog
may profit.

Concept: " Please tag or declare all NSFW or similar Grody links as such "

OK- either consider that the condensed version and quit here -or read on at
your choice.
But again- this is NOT flamebait- this is a sincere attempt at protecting
OSS.

If we want to mainstream OSS we need to be mindful of NOT creating bad
press.
In a pre-Google world perhaps we could be unconcerned. But- all it now takes
is
a propagation from a semi-minuscule mailing list like THIS one into the
"Blogosphere"
When one sees Huffington expounding her views on network television we
should
grasp that the gap between what we post here and  CNN is getting awful thin!

Again- dare we underestimate how strident a "voice" gets raised  if the
story is Grody?
*I* am the LAST person to advocate censorship of any sort.
But care in associations formed seems just simple prudence.
The example first coming to mind is a keyword search  on KCLUG by a soccer
mom.
She sees aforementioned link bearing page.-ABSENT a NSFW etc tag.
She opens it up-gasps- in attempt to flee she sees the next page's
"pincushion" image.
She then tells the social circles she lives in that Linux or OSS or whatever
keyword
She was researching is entertained largely by THAT image. Nice public image
eh?
And we sadly dare not as already stated lightly overlook such events any
more.

We are already in a time when File Sharing is equated with theft of music as
it's only use.
Internet gambling has become a cause celebre in legislation way beyond any
possible reality.
Add to that a widespread EXISTING belief that parental control means mom's
hand on the mouse?
So if mom's hand get's UNWARNED content and associates IT with US?

Point restated as: " Please tag or declare all NSFW or similar Grody links
as such "

I can supply upon constructive request further explanation.

Oren