Free Software Mapping Project

Luke -Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Nov 16 17:47:51 CST 2006

> This warrants potentially seting up a formal list of it's own.

Perhaps... On that matter, I don't suppose anyone knows of software that
supports a common database behind ML/NNTP/forum frontends, do they?

> With consideration being given to the GPS enabled hardware that soon may be
> abandoned by Nextel as part of band reassignments.

???

> As for the AP strength concept- There are many RF sources-some like the
> new "HD Radio" that have embedded timebase data streams. Extraction and
> comparison is a non-trivial but possible position data source unless I am
> totally wrong  in my understandang of how such things work. If HD radio has
> OSS hardware?

WiFi is particularly well-suited for triangulation because most APs do not
move, and many laptops come WiFi-enabled.

> I humbly suggest a hybrid approach of the "passive" rf level and an
> "active" one of ping times. Yes, there ae many variables influencing ping
> times. The factors that make ping time correlation part of this kind of
> process are validating path viablity,sharing node granualarity
> informations, and overall matrix integrity potential. Bluntly put-each
> element that enhances accuracy and stability is a good thing. Potentially I
> suspect we could in microscale replicate DGPS style correction data.

Pinging would require associating with the networks, wouldn't it? Do any cards
allow associating to multiple networks and/or scanning at the same time?