Linux Friendly Network Cameras

Kyle Sexton ks at mocker.org
Thu Nov 9 17:59:14 CST 2006

On 11/9/06, Russ Starr <russ.starr at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have four Netbotz 500 camera units for our server rooms, each with
> an add on camera.  Their client is java-based and they include Linux
> install notes.  The units are pretty nice, except the picture quality
> isn't the best.  The temperature, humidity, and airflow sensors are
> handy.  They use Linux under the hood and are expandable.
>
> http://www.netbotz.com/products/appliances.html
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -Russ
>
> On 11/9/06, Bradley Hook <bhook at kssb.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know of some good, and hopefully cheap, network security
> > cameras that play well with Linux clients? We recently purchased a
> > camera for about $650, and not only was it designed for Windows/IE, but
> > it specifically tried to prevent itself from working with other
> > platforms. On top of that, it just didn't work at all  most of the time
> > (kept crashing every 2 minutes or so).
> >
> > Any recommendations?
> >
> > ~Bradley

You should also look into what cameras software like ZoneMinder recommends
using, since it's a Linux security camera application they would have a good
idea.  That said, camera's with their own built in webserver like the
Panasonic BL-C30 are pretty sweet too.  No dependencies on software because
you just hit the camera's web page. :)

--
Kyle Sexton