Semi-OT: Ham License required for Packet Radio?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 18:50:03 CST 2006

Does anyone on here have a Ham Radio License?  I'm
trying to track down the minimum Ham Radio License to
create and use a Packet Radio system.

The National Association for Amateur Radio (ARRL),
http://www.arrl.org/, has all the ham radio license
classes and what frequencies they can use.  Wikipedia
has a nice definition of Packet Radio,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio.  Neither
one mentions the minimum Ham Radio license to operate
a Packet Radio setup.

I'm interested in getting a Ham License and would like
to experiment with Packet Radio, but I'm rotten at
Morse code and the Technician license doesn't require
any Morse code.  Can you operate a Packet Radio setup
using Technician-class frequencies?