What is the modern "Floppy-Based" router based on?

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 04:32:11 CST 2006

--- Jack <quiet_celt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> First off, writing more than 1.44 MB on a
> floppy generally shortens the useful life
> of the floppy, and doesn't always work.
> There is no garauntee that the diskette
> will be able to safely store at any density
> greater than 1.44. I certainly wouldn't
> recommend it for a mission critical server.
> That is not to say that lots of people have
> made these diskettes. I've done it myself
> and never had any problems, but never on
> anything that was mission-critical or
> irreplaceable.

I do feel the need to mention that back when Microsoft
released software on high-density 3-1/2" floppy disks,
they released their software on floppy disks formatted
to 1.680MB (their term for these disks was "DMF"
disks).  Apparently Microsoft felt that a DMF disk was
more than adequate for "irreplaceable" software,
especially given that they did not include any tools
in Windows to create backup 1.680MB disks for their
software (probably to curb software piracy).

I remember installing Windows95 and (pre-SE) Windows98
from these same 1.680MB floppies.