What is the modern "Floppy-Based" router based on?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 1 20:14:35 CST 2006

First off, writing more than 1.44 MB on a floppy
generally shortens the useful life of the floppy, and
doesn't always work. There is no garauntee that the
diskette will be able to safely store at any density
greater than 1.44. I certainly wouldn't recommend it
for a mission critical server. That is not to say that
lots of people have made these diskettes. I've done it
myself and never had any problems, but never on
anything that was mission-critical or irreplaceable.

Secondly, an alternate solution to the CDRW is simple.
Use a different PC or a detachable CDRW to create the
CD and then have a CDR only device as the PC's regular
device. Hence the CDRW is effectively read only.

Also as has been stated you can get memory keys that
have write-protect switches. I don't happen to have
one but you can get them at Walmart, Target, Best Buy,
etc.

Personally, I'd like to see a plug-in card with a
jumper on it and an EEPROM. I've considered building
one ... when I get around to those hobby projects on
my list of things to do. The downside there is
everytime you make a change you have to open up the
box. I've also thought about putting in an infrared
"switch" that would enable/disable the write_enable
pin on an EEPROM. I know, I know, I think too much.

Brian JD

http://www.trevormarshall.com/byte_articles/byte19.htm