Problems Watching TV in Linux

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 03:03:20 CDT 2006

--- Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- "Jason D. Clinton" <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 16:46 -0700, Leo Mauler
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone else had a similar problem and
> > > been able to make their TV application give
> > > you a real fullscreen?  I'm getting tired of
> > > the 2" black border around the "fullscreen"
> > > TV picture.
> >
> > Sounds like your video driver was unable to
> > allocate a YUV scalar. Try checking to ensure
> > that XVideo extention is loaded properly by
> > checking your video driver's man page and also
> > the /var/log/Xorg.log.0
>
> Well I did manage to figure out how to get the "v4l"
> XVideo extension loaded into XF86Config-4 (XVideo
> doesn't let you do video capturing but I won't be
> doing that), but getting rid of the black border
> requires a 1024x768 Modeline in the new XFree4 and I
> haven't done any modelines since XFree86 3.3.6.
> Debian autoprobed everything and set up all the
> Modelines as 800x600 and 640x480.

I set up a 24-bit 1024x768 mode line in XF86Config-4.
I added a Load "x4l" line to XF86Config-4.  I set the
1024x768 screen to Default.  Debian boots up into
1024x768 XFree4.

I edited xawtvrc and added the Global line "fullscreen
= 1024 x 768".

I run xawtv, and select F (fullscreen mode).  I still
get all the video in a small window in the center of
the screen.

Is it just not possible to get a an actual full screen
in Linux XFree4?  The last time I used this AverTV
Stereo TV Tuner card in a Windows machine, I could get
100% fullscreen video.