Problems Watching TV in Linux

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 13 01:01:31 CDT 2006

--- "Jason D. Clinton" <me at jasonclinton.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 16:46 -0700, Leo Mauler
> wrote:
>
> > Has anyone else had a similar problem and
> > been able to make their TV application give
> > you a real fullscreen?  I'm getting tired of
> > the 2" black border around the "fullscreen"
> > TV picture.
>
> Sounds like your video driver was unable to
> allocate a YUV scalar. Try checking to ensure
> that XVideo extention is loaded properly by
> checking your video driver's man page and also
> the /var/log/Xorg.log.0

Well I did manage to figure out how to get the "v4l"
XVideo extension loaded into XF86Config-4 (XVideo
doesn't let you do video capturing but I won't be
doing that), but getting rid of the black border
requires a 1024x768 Modeline in the new XFree4 and I
haven't done any modelines since XFree86 3.3.6.
Debian autoprobed everything and set up all the
Modelines as 800x600 and 640x480.  I can see my
future: way too much reading of documentation over the
next few days.

Naturally my wife preferred the old larger image on
the 13" TV, and, of course, the 13" TV gave out
shortly before I unplugged it.  So now I have to make
the darn thing work or there will be much complaining
until another TV can be afforded for the basement
computer room.