Linux Camera Software

Russ Starr russ.starr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 11:13:52 CDT 2006

I am going to be trying some software to handle camera surveillance.
I have four cameras that I would like to centrally control. (if
possible)

- Two D-Link IP cameras (DCS-1000W and DCS-900)
- Two Netbotz cameras (two cams on one Netbotz 500 system)

Right now, I am using IPView, which came with the D-Link cameras and
it is very flakey, it doesn't run in the background, and it sometimes
just stops working.

The Netbotz have nice software that I could keep using if I had to.

So, does anyone have any experience with any open source camera
software for surveillance?  I am going to test drive the following and
I was looking for suggestions or things to look out for:

- http://www.zoneminder.com/
- http://www.silicontao.com/software/lvs/doc/information.html
- http://gspy.sourceforge.net/

My objective is to have motion detection and recording.  I will
probably dump them on to a Windows file server.

Thanks,

-Russ