Question about Linspire

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 5 12:03:16 CDT 2006

I'm looking at getting a complete Powerspec system
from Microcenter (I'm being lazy and wanting to buy
off-the-shelf instead of going the self-assembly
route).  It comes with Linspire already installed but
I'm going to wipe the drive and install Debian instead
(I'm really liking the netinst install option).

Is Linspire radically different from other Linux
versions, in terms of what it runs on?  I'm wondering
if running Linspire means you can run nearly any other
Linux version, or if there is something special about
Linspire, such as built-in support for, say, winmodems
and related Windows-only devices, which would make it
run on hardware which other versions of Linux wouldn't
run on.