Backups

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Wed Aug 2 23:41:42 CDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 08:01 -0700, David Spake wrote:
> I know there are several utilities whereby you could
> actually mount the backup image as a complete drive.
> Can't say that I've used any of them as most of our
> stuff is NTFS related (thus we use NTFSClone).  At any
> rate, I know that several of the utilities mentioned
> in crash3m's post stated the possibility of mounting
> the backup image as a full 'drive'.  Hate to think of
> the access speed on a DVD+R/W, but it might be
> something to consider for immediate quick access.

Yes, squashfs implements this for Linux. However, since no file systems
available for any consumer-level operating systems implement large
multi-file atomic copy operations, a safe backup this way can only be
made from an initramfs or some other way of accessing the backup target
while it is mounted read-only.