OT: Mac OSX, Squirrelmail question

Chris Bier chris.bier at cymor.com
Thu Sep 29 13:17:38 CDT 2005

Rob Becker wrote:
> We have a mail server for our students that allows them webmail access
> using Squirrelmail.  Our student email addresses are in the form of
> student at students.kcai.edu.  We have appropriate DNS records for mail to
> get to the server, but due to some network constraints, we had to create
> an additional DNS name for the webmail access.  The off campus address
> for this access is squirrelmail.kcai.edu.  When students log in from off
> campus and send mail through Squirrelmail, their messages appear to be
> coming from squirrelmail.kcai.edu.  For example a message sent from off
> campus would appear as student at squirrelmail.kcai.edu instead of
> student at students.kcai.edu.  In the Mail configuration under Server
> Manager on the OSX server, the server name is specified as
> students.kcai.edu.  Why is the domain portion of their addresses getting
> rewritten to match the external DNS name that they used to access the
> Squirrelmail page?  Shouldn't the server sent mail from it's configured
> hostname?  If anyone has any advice, resources, tips, tricks or answers,
> I'd love to hear them.
> Thanks in advance.
> Rob

Do both DNS names point to the same machine?
You'll want to take a look at the $imapServerAddress variable in the
squirrelmail config.  I've found customers don't like typing in the word
squirrel, so I've added aliases called "webmail".

--
I digitally sign my emails.  If you see an attachment with .asc, then
that means your email client doesn't support PGP digital signatures.