debian kernels

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Tue Sep 6 19:15:33 CDT 2005

> Anyone ever successfully installed a debian kernel
> pacakge?
>
> I've been trying to compile a specific kernel module.
>
> So far no luck. So now I'm compiling and installing a
> kernel from sources.
>
> All because I want my scanner to work in debian. Funny
> it used to work out of the box in other distros, but
> in debian it is installing some funky wrong module.
> Granted it is a parallel port scanner.

I've never been able to compile a module to work with a stock debian
binary kernel.  I've ended up having to download the sources and compile
the debian way (tm) myself.  The biggest problem has been including all of
the modules I need, and getting a base kernel setup.  But once I had that
down, I could pop in a new version of sources, and just run a script to
generate my own binary debian kernel.

Some good references for compiling from source in debian are:
http://myrddin.org/howto/debian-kernel-recompile.php
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s05.html.en
http://www.e-aiyama.com/~toshi/Computer/Linux/KernelCompile.html

Jeremy