routing problem - fork on gateways

hanasaki hanasaki at hanaden.com
Sat Sep 3 12:46:06 CDT 2005

My current network is a hybrid of the below A and B and also not yet
finished.  I suppose it is most like B with the firewall and router
split in two boxes and the router only having one NICE.  The plan is to
get to Picture A and build the honeypot at some later time.  You do
bring up a good point about the bypassing of the router.  This is
addressed with iptables on the firewall.  It will only alot outgoing
traffic from the router.  The only way to the firewall is the console or
ssh from the router.  Also the fw is a 166 (i know thats overkill for a
basic Linux firewall)  The router runs internal dhcp and dns, external
and internal webservers and email and imap an squid.  They will all be
split if the scalibiltiy is needed.  For now, they all have cname alias'
so the hostnames are at least unique.

Actual topoligy:
+----------+
| internet |
+----------+

      |  firewall
+------------+
|  10.1.1.1  |
+------------+

+-----------+
+-----------+

+----------+
| localnet |         (switch 2)
+----------+

===========
If the firewall is compromised there is no way to
prevent any computer connected to any network that has
internet access from being attacked no matter how
elegant your network design. I find the it is better
to use a simple network plan from a
safe-yourself-headaches perspective.

I much prefer this type of set up

+----------+
| internet |
+----------+

+------------+         +-----------+
+------------+         +-----------+

+-----------+
+-----------+

+----------+
| localnet |         (switch 2)
+----------+

Picture A

However, I do not have a honeypot currently and hence
no need to seperate the firewall and router, thus
negating the need for two switches. Also, I use my
firewall/router as the gateway so one of the two nics
has a real world ip and the other is to the local lan.
>From what I can see of the network here described the
firewall is the gateway to the internet, but there is
something meissing from the description. I see the
router as a useless box on the network and any pc
connected to the network can bypass the router and
route directly through the firewall.

This is the network I see described.

(internet) ---- (cablemodem)

       [ real ip addr ]
     (gateway/firewall?)
         [10.1.1.1]

  __________|_____________________
 |               |                |
10.1.1.30    10.1.1.10       10.1.1.2
 host 1        host 3          host 2
                             (router)

Picture B

Now an intelligent ip protocol will bypass the router
once it has found the gateway, so traffic only goes
through the router the first time. Correct me if I'm
wrong in any of this. I don't see the internet gateway
in the description of the LAN anywhere, so I've
assumed that the firewall is the gateway. I see only
the firewall with a local address connected to the
cable modem, which I don't think will work the way
described. Something here has to be connected to two
networks (LAN & internet).

Brian JD