posting rules reminder

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Tue Nov 22 21:43:49 CST 2005

On Wednesday 23 November 2005 01:02, Leo Mauler wrote:
> --- Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 20 November 2005 21:18, Leo Mauler wrote:
> > > This brings up another point: some people have
> > > been posting to the list using some form of
> > > structured formatting language such as HTML.
> > > I'm speaking of the lines on the side of the
> > > posting instead of > characters.
>
> > Too bad KMail doesn't support it.

Referring to HTML, note.

> > Then that's a bug in your webmail or browser.

If your mail program cannot handle HTML, then it should ignore it and use the
text/plain section. If it uses text/html then it should be reasonable to
expect it to handle it properly.

> So it seems that there are at least two instances where the lines instead of
> make the E-mail harder to read for some people.

No, the lack in KMail is the inability to properly setup HTML replies. KMail,
as it should, uses the text/plain for reply quoting.
A bug in a mail program is just that: a bug. The internet should not work
around the bug of a mail program. The mail program should be fixed or
replaced.

> Seems to me anyone who wants E-mail sent with the label "Best Viewed With X
> E-mail Application"

Nobody is asking for that. However, a broken email program is not an excuse to
cripple the entire internet email exchange.

> is yearning for the bad old days when you couldn't be sure an E-mail written
> on one E-mail application could be read by another E-mail application,
> network, or operating system.  (with apologies to Tim Berners-Lee).

What days? As far as I'm aware, the classic text/plain email has always worked
everywhere.