posting rules reminder

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 21 09:52:30 CST 2005

That's right. We never agreed to bottom posting.
There are arguments both for and against top posting
and bottom posting. The biggest problem with bottom
posting is for those who are following a thread.
It becomes worse when posters don't trim responses.
There's one thing worse than having a reply with the
entire thread pasted on top of the reply, forcing one
to scroll to the bottom to get to the reply. That one
thing is an in-post reply that includes the whole
thread
and the reply buried in various places in the entire
thread
of a topic.

There are three accepted reply methods on the KCLUG.
Top-posting, bottom posting and in-posting. The reason
for
this is that the KCLUG is an anarchy. Not a democracy
or a
dictatorship.

As you can see I fall into the top-posting category. I
find it easier to read. Should I jump into a thread
halfway into it, and
find myself not relating to the context, I go and read
the original post. I prefer everyone top-post, but
won't try to force my opinion on the LUG by claiming
it is a standard behavior.

It has generally been accepted that it is bad manners
to not trim
replies. Although I don't recall us ever setting up a
formal list of posting rules. I would not be opposed
to having a standard list of rules, but I know that
with the anarchaic composition of the LUG that is
unlikely to ever happen. Most mailing lists do have
rules and at least one moderator. As far as I know we
have none.

IIRC,
Brian JD

PS. I remember more than one debate on this topic.
With no resolution in any of the debates.