posting rules reminder

Bill Cavalieri bcavalieri at lumensoftware.com
Sun Nov 20 21:49:28 CST 2005

I don't care one way or the other, I certainly don't feel like I'm above
anyone else on the list, so why should I or anyone else try to force
views.....

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 02:47 +0000, Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Sunday 20 November 2005 07:01, Rick wrote:
> > Rick: Honestly, I've been doing this a fair amount of time just like
> >         everyone else, and I have yet to see a valid argument for why bottom
> >         posting is better.
>
> Luke: "bottom" posting makes more sense for discussions. If one is to
>           summarize or reply generally, it's probably better to top-post or
>           maybe even just reply w/o any past content (though that only works
>           with threading)

I'll just post wherever I want in the message, like some kind of rebel.

> > Rick: To the contrary, I've always seen it as a huge pain, *especially*
> >         with multiple levels of reply (which I try to avoid altogether).
>
> Luke: If the discussion is long enough and involves multiple people, then I
>          can see how it could confuse you when trying to determine who said
>          what... but in the end, does it really matter *who* said it? What
>          matters is *what* was said

Well its always nice to know who said what, that whole credit where
credit is......

> Luke: So, how about this style of replies? Takes a bit more effort, but it's
>          certainly more readable than anything else...

Yeah but this isn't a doctorate we are all writing, its a casual mailing
list.  I don't treat each message I write, as some kind of artwork, that
everyone should print and place in the finest of frame.  Though if
anyone would like my autograph, they are $15 at the meetings.

If we are going to have to start running our emails through some kind of
unit testing, then why bother having a public email list?

So I guess we should only let 3 people post, these 3 "Commissioners of
Email" shall be chosen not by the list, but by a self appointed panel
(us commoners do not deserve to choose these enlightened moderators),
everyone else must submit their intent to post form, followed by a list
of references, and the message, formatted using the KCLUG Style Guide
RFC BS11202005, or have said message rejected without debate.

Addendum, the message must be submitted in docbook dtd v4.