SBC to unbundle local service from dsl

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 23:28:34 CST 2005

--- Garrett Goebel <garrett at scriptpro.com> wrote:

> Luke-Jr wrote:
> > And I'm sure the POTS batteries will never die
> > when the power goes out either...
>
> Not when it's running off a generator.
>
> Each state's Public Utilities Commission requires
> the local telco's to provide phone service during
> power outages.

That explains why it worked so well for two days.

> > > That ice storm a few years back knocked out the
> > > power for two days, knocking out cable service
> > > too (one battery-powered TV).  Phone lines
> > > worked fine for both days, allowing me to call
> > > the electric and cable companies for
information.

> > Ouch... two days is much too long for power to be
> > out :( What did people with electric heating do?
>
> Two days may be too long for many of the elderly and
> infirm.
>
> Our power was out for a week. Even people with gas
> heating often find that their thermostats are
> electric...

Not that it matters with an electric thermostat
already off from the power outage, but gas heating
also requires electric fans to push the air throughout
the house.  So even if you managed to bypass the
thermostat, you'd still be out of luck.