SBC to unbundle local service from dsl

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Fri Nov 18 09:30:06 CST 2005

On Friday 18 November 2005 12:36, Garrett Goebel wrote:
> Luke-Jr wrote:
> > Get a UPS...
>
> not everyone can afford one, or replacing the battery every 2 years

VoIP incl. a cheap UPS lasting 2 years is probably cheaper than your average
POTS service.

> > And I'm sure the POTS batteries will never die when the power
> > goes out either...
>
> Not when it's running off a generator.

Never seen that... what's the generator running off of?

> Each state's Public Utilities Commission requires the local telco's to
> provide phone service during power outages.

For a limited period of time. Not sure what it is, but I don't think it's more
than a few days tops.

> > > That ice storm a few years back knocked out the power for two
> > > days, knocking out cable service too (one battery-powered TV).
> > > Phone lines worked fine for both days, allowing me to call the
> > > electric and cable companies for information.
> >
> > Ouch... two days is much too long for power to be out :( What did
> > people with electric heating do?
>
> Two days may be too long for many of the elderly and infirm.

Or computer-dependent? =p

> Our power was out for a week. Even people with gas heating often find that
> their thermostats are electric...

Yet another reason no home should be without a UPS?

> We moved in with friends who had power for the week.

Works, I guess, unless the outage is so wide that there's not enough friends
to move in with... and if the outage is small, there's not much excuse for it
to be out for days, let alone weeks.