Somewhat OT: Top 500 list

James Sissel jimsissel at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 12:49:30 CST 2005

I love those projects and I'm involved in 4 of  them.  SETI - looking for ET, Einstein - looking for gravity  waves, folding proteins, and climate forecasting.  I've got  anywhere from 1-3 PCs dedicated to them at all times.  But that's  distributed computing and not a supercomputer.

 Do you think  KU or UMKC might have a suitable project for a small  supercomputer?  Or how about some of our local medical research  companies?  Maybe we could offer it to Channel 9 so they can get  our local weather forecasts right (tongue in cheek).

"Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO" <brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov> wrote:Message          I  know that finding primes and cracking encryption is not  considered sexy, but that is one basic thing you can use to test your  computing cluster.  After that you could move to the SETI client, folding at home,  one of the other protein folding clients.   Those   folding clients may actually help people down the road.

  Start   here:  http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Distributed-Computing-HOWTO/    for a list of projects.