Has my server been hacked?

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Sun Nov 13 09:40:41 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Matt Graham wrote:

> Hi.  I got this email (below) from someone saying that my server is
> attacking theirs.  They used my IP in the subject line as well.
>
> Is this what happens when a system is rooted?  If I suspect that this has
> happened, is my best option to reinstall?

> Hello,     I am not sure if you are aware that your server is conducting a
> vulnerability search and is continually hitting my server.  I am guessing
> that you are unaware of it since the attacking IP is riddled with personal
> pictures of your self and your sister.     Could you please look into this
> ASAP.     Grant.

Hunhh?  I've never seen a "vulnerability search" that is "riddled with
personal pictures" of "your sister".

This looks like crap, did the email contain an attachment with a windows
executable format by chance?

And as to the question of what happens when a system is rooted, if it's
rooted right you'll never even know.

Regards,

-Don