Program suggestion

Dale Beams drbeams at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 7 18:15:45 CST 2005

I am currently looking for a genealogical interface (program) that is cross
platform (ajax?).  It would need to be quickly searchable with features like
search ahead, etc.  For example, if I were to type in my last name Grumpy,
the web interface would begin searching the database at Gr, etc and narrow
the list of names, etc.  This program must be able to trace genealogy, tax
records, juror records, etc. for a county history for the span of 60 +
years.

I am looking for a designer (back end) and (front end) for the genealogical
society as well.

I am also looking for a good program that would do foundation financing and
all the legal and tax laws associated with it.  This program would have to
be more robust.

All these programs must be open source, hosted at sourceforge or similar
public accessible code depository with the possible exception of the web
pages for the genealogical society itself.

There are some good programs for windows, but I have not seen any for linux.

There is currently no funding for these projects and there may never be, but
it may have future possiblities.  I am not getting any funding as well.  The
genology foundation is currently working on a volunteer basis only.  I don't
know if it is possible to get a tax write off as a buisness loss or
contribution, but it might be something worth looking into.

I am looking for development ideas and interested parties.  I am also
looking for previous work examples.  We will be meeting in 2 weeks.

I would like to see open discussion on the list development process,
languages, etc. best suited for these type of projects.  You may contact me
privately if you wish.

Dale