Content filtering applicance

Kelsay, Brian - Kansas City, MO brian.kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Mon Nov 7 08:47:22 CST 2005

By "content filtering", I'm assuming you mean web content.   Easiest
thing I've found is IPCop, www.ipcop.org, for firewall, Squid proxy
(content filtering),  basic server add-ons available for all kinds of
stuff, but I'd recommend seperating that stuff to another server.   If
you use Squid, you will need a little more ram than a basic IPCop box.
I'd say any where from 64 or 128 MB on up.  This and the processor
required is dependent on the number of clients.   For the 20-30 clients
you could try a Pentium I or II, say up to a 500MHz and start with 128
or 256 MB.   Also you will need a hard drive from 2GB on up to 10GB.
If you had several older boxes that are exactly alike, I'd recycle them
into a IPCop box and a cold spare.  You could probably have the spare up
in 10-30 minutes if you had to do updates or duplicate some network
changes.

In reality, you could use ANY Linux distro and just add a second NIC,
Squid proxy and NAT, but why make extra work for yourself?  There are
free appliance -like Linux distros, but this is one I'm familiar with
and have used for over 2 years.

Brian Kelsay

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the
computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per
gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.  - Robert X.
Cringely