[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sun Nov 6 21:52:36 CST 2005

On Friday 04 November 2005 20:36, Jason Dewayne Clinton wrote:
> On Friday 04 November 2005 11:53 am, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > Last I checked, XHTML/CSS handle dynamic resolutions just fine...
>
> Bahumbug. You need to check again. I run at 1600x1200 at 98 DPI and I
> can say with certainty that pages that are designed to fill the entire
> width of the page start to become unreadable when the font is 11pt.

The 'pt' unit is a real-world size. If it appears different based on your DPI
or resolution, then that is a bug in your OS/browser.

> That means that lines are REALLY long and it becomes hard to follow
> line-by-line.

Only if your browser is sized bigger than your preference for reading a
webpage...

> Resolution isn't just width and height. On a good platform (X11 and Mac OSX)
> it also means the DPI of the monitor.

Last I checked, DPI was separate from resolution.

> And that's to say nothing of the printing issues that are created by virtue
> of printing being done at 600 DPI or more while screens are in the lowly
> range of 75 - 110 DPI. The nasty differences are apparent when you try to
> print off a map from a web page and it becomes less readable.

Maps have always printed fine for me...

> What /should/ happen is that web pages should become /sharper/
> and /easier to read/ when more pixels are available; not smaller and
> harder to read.

Only if designed properly and the client is properly configured, in which case
they do.

> Why did you even reply to this message? Are you going to make the claim
> that SVG has nothing to offer? Just trying to pick a fight for no good
> reason?

SVG is purely useful as an image format. They belong within IMG HTML tags, not
as a replacement to the HTML itself.

> > Using Konqueror 3.5-subversion here and all I see is text...
>
> So you didn't even try it? Check your KSVG plugin by trying to click on
> an SVG file in your local file system from Konqueror; it should open up
> in Konqueror. Otherwise file a bug against 3.5 RC1.

Or maybe I don't have KSVG installed? I think older FireFox can handle SVG
with plugins, too-- so if we're basing this off defaults, Konqueror doesn't
support it.