[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Jason Dewayne Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Sun Nov 6 19:34:23 CST 2005

On Sunday 06 November 2005 11:46 am, Jack wrote:
> Well, considering web pages weren't designed to do
> this, I have to disagree that they /should/. While at
> the same time I'll say it would be /nice/ if they did.
> However there are a lot of poorly designed websites,
> and a great many websites assign point sizes to text,
> and absolute pixel sizes to graphics, rather than
> proportional measures. So until the majority of the
> web gets rewritten to your standard you'll likely
> continue to have issues.

Your entire email was patently false and completely missinformed with
exception to this one point. This is *exactly* the reason I am excited
about SVG. The standards which support the WWW as it stands today are
unable to cope with differences in DPI. It is SVG which finally offers
a standards based way out of that problem and it is for *this reason*
that I am advocating moving to SVG *where it makes sense*. And it's not
my standard -- it's the W3C's.

> While, I'll give SVG in web pages two thumbs up for
> coolness factor, it'll be some time before I'll be
> doing any graphics for the web in SVG, unless it is
> for a targetted audience.

I guess you didn't read my first email. In a few months, 95% of the
market will be running Firefox 1.5, IE6, Opera 8, Safari 1.4, or
Konqueror >3.4 with SVG support. In around a year or two, when Firefox
>1.5 has replaced all the 1.0 installations, roughly 98% of the browser
market will be able to view SVG content with very little or no extra
effort required... Today, IE6 already can do this with any site being
able to offer an instantly installed Adobe SVG plugin. Up until this
point, it has been the OSS browsers that have been lagging behind. And
they just caught up and did it much better than IE6 did... that's
what's new and exciting.

I use digital signatures and encryption. My key is stored at pgp.mit.edu
0x8DB3BF09 FP: F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE - 7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09