[OT] dynamic resolution web sites

Jason Dewayne Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri Nov 4 02:09:41 CST 2005

Some of you may remember that some time ago we discussed making websites
in Flash. At the time I strongly objected and suggested that some day
SVG would be able to handle the resolution independent rendering which
Flash offers without all the accessibility problems. Well I'm very
excited to share that I think that day has finally arrived (or almost
has).

Firefox 1.5 RC1 was released today and with it comes support for SVG.
This adds to the list of browsers supporting SVG: Opera and Konqueror
which is a total of roughly 13% of the browser market. Add to that the
IE Adobe SVG Plugin for IE6 (85%) and the picture starts to look pretty
rosy.

I have put up a proof of concept at [1]. Please give it a good work-out.
It will not work in Konqueror <3.4, Opera <8 or Firefox <1.5. IE 6
doesn't allow rescaling fonts but it does display the content
correctly.

[1] <http://jasonclinton.com/calig_test.html>

I strongly feel that this is the future of the web and I'm looking
forward to playing around with HTML+SVG. Let me know your thoughts!
I use digital signatures and encryption. My key is stored at pgp.mit.edu
0x8DB3BF09 FP: F628 D9D3 E57A C281 5EFE - 7DF7 B52A A393 8DB3 BF09