OT: Project Gutenberg's CD/DVD Project

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue May 10 19:51:45 CDT 2005

Just wanted to mention this here as I proofread pages
of expired-copyright books for them.

Project Gutenberg is making its massive collection of
plaintext e-books available in CD and DVD images.  The
latest CD image is "Best Of August 2003"; the DVD
covers all of Project Gutenberg from the very
beginning to December 2003 (3.85GB).

You can download the image yourself, get it through a
slightly safer checksum source like BitTorrent, or
even have an overworked volunteer mail you a CD/DVD.
With its error-checking options they prefer P2P
networks, and they're encouraging BitTorrent right now
(http://snowy.arsc.alaska.edu:6969/).

The DVD is a treasure trove with over 9400 e-books on
it (mine will be all together on my hard drive in
about two days).

I took a humanities course this past spring semester,
and it was not only a lifesaver for material, it saved
me a bit of money on some of the books required for
the class.