linux on an old laptop

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 24 19:31:20 CST 2005

SUSE supports a FTP install, if you happen to have a
broadband Internet connection.  I used that once to
install SUSE on a laptop without a CDROM drive.

--- crash 3m <crash3m at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are adapters that will let you put a laptop
> hard drive into a
> regular system.  You can pick them up at microcenter
> for $6 or
> something.  Depending on the distro your wanting to
> install, you may
> be able to boot from floppy and do a network install
> as well.
>

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:10:13 -0600, Christopher
> Kanaan
> <ckanaan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I recently acquired an old IBM Thinkpad (550MHz
> Celeron) with a broken cd-rom
> > drive.  I would like to remove windows and put
> linux on there.  I went through
> > the bios menu's and found that it only boots from
> FLOPPY, CDROM, or  HARD DRIVE.
> > It does have USB and a 10/100 cardbus ethernet.  I
> guess I was wondering if
> > anyone had any creative ideas on how to get linux
> on this beast or if anyone had
> > and external (usb) floppy disk drive or an
> external cd-rom that they could bring
> > to the meeting on tuesday night.
> >
> > thanks,
> > chris

And I always thought: the very simplest words
Must be enough. When I say what things are like
Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.
That you'll go down if you don't stand up for yourself
Surely you see that.

  -- Bertolt Brecht