Dune Parody skit. Was RE: whitewigs

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 23 15:27:55 CST 2005

>From: "Brian Kelsay" <Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov>
>To: <kclug at kclug.org>
>Subject: Re: Dune Parody skit. Was RE: whitewigs
>Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:38:44 -0600
>>I'd say at the very least that the lines I left below are part of your
>>problem.  See the -800?  That puts you in the wrong time zone.  Whether
>>that is due to your settings w/ hotmail from zip or user location in
>>prefs. or due  to settings in Thunderbird if you are using it to connect
>>to hotmail as a relay agent, we don't know.
>
>Brian Kelsay

>Really? Or shall we consider that no one posting to a Lug list needs NTP!
>
>A dedicated army of Open Source time observers will happily inform you of
>an
>out of sync condition.

The comment was intended as reference to a Monty Pythonesque dialog from the
Neil Stephenson
book length essay "In the beginning was the command line"
This should be essential  reading for anyone using or interested in Open
Source as a concept.

Book on line at:

http://hobbes.ncsa.uiuc.edu/nealstephensonOS.html

Quote of relevance to flogging NTP-

The group giving away the free tanks only stays alive because it is staffed
by volunteers, who are lined up at the edge of the street with bullhorns,
trying to draw customers' attention to this incredible situation. A typical
conversation goes something like this:

Hacker with bullhorn: "Save your money! Accept one of our free tanks! It is
invulnerable, and can drive across rocks and swamps at ninety miles an hour
while getting a hundred miles to the gallon!"

Prospective station wagon buyer: "I know what you say is true...but...er...I
don't know how to maintain a tank!"

Bullhorn: "You don't know how to maintain a station wagon either!"

The rest of the essay is even more on the mark for where OS is still at in
2005.

Oh yeah- By the way kiddies- comments about a clock/date error are really
more telling on the commentators.

Oren