whitening

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Mar 17 08:01:32 CST 2005

As always, Gerald puts it succinctly.  "I like the way you talk." (Slingblade)
But I find it hard to not agree with Brian and for once with Jonathan Hutchins.  I didn't see that one coming.  I guess on natural language processing he and I find some common ground.  Now if we could just get him to read some manuals.  :-)  j/k

Gerald, don't forget the band/singer "Uncle Cracker," my 7 yr. old son's current favorite.  I'm gonna raise that boy up right.

See you guys at Johnny Dare's in Westport around noon if you have the guts.

Brian Kelsay

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> The term "hacker" includes the concept of "cracker", unless the latter is
> being used to distinguish a subset of the former.  "Hacker" and it's meaning
> pre-date computers.

The term "cracker" is next to useless.  I'd venture to guess that for
most people the definition of "cracker" is a way, far-off distant fifth
behind:

  The flat bread-food
  A Caucasian
  Something that separates chemical compounds, and
  The alterno-college-rock band

Most people simply don't associate it with computing.