whitewig

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 23:06:13 CST 2005

--- "D. Hageman" <dhageman at dracken.com> wrote:

> On another side note - If a person calls themselves
> a hacker - they aren't
> a hacker.  It is like a person calling themselves
> sexy or the best thing
> out there.  It is a term that has to be given to you
> by another.  I just
> put in this side note as I have had two people call
> themselves that in the
> past week in conversation with me.  Hubris.  Yuck.
I disagree with this comment. While it's possible that
anyone who calls themselves a hacker is not
necessarily
a hacker, it does not preclude a real hacker from
calling oneself one. Hacking is the art of taking
things apart (and putting them back together) to
figure out how things work. That's all it means, there
is no elite person that confers hacking status on
someone. Hacking is an old term that never gained
widespread public knowledge until relatively recently.
I have been hacking cars, radios, computers, software,
and all manner of electromechanical devices (not
necessarily in that order) since I was 7 (that's
before Woodstock '69). I take exception to your
attempt to promote yourself as the giver of Hackdom.

JMHO,
Bona-fide Qualified Certified Hacker #6986l334
Brian Densmore