whitewig

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Mar 16 21:53:33 CST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 03:02 pm, D. Hageman wrote:

> On a side note - we pretty much have to accept the general media
> distorting the term hacker has modified the definition to the point that
> it has a new meaning that may not be a good one.

Nonsense.  "Hacking" was inclusive of cracking until some self-righteous
hackers decided they wanted to set themselves above and apart from those
nasty "crackers", so they tried to patch the language by insisting their
definition was correct.  Never works.  Language is what people mean, not what
they're supposed to mean.

> On another side note - If a person calls themselves a hacker - they aren't
> a hacker.

Sure they are.  The're someone who hacks stuff.  Just as a writer can call
themselves a hack.  It may have a connotation of elite coolness to you, but
that's just you.

Like I said before, the term and concept pre-date computers.  I'm a hardware
hacker, I can hack code if I have to, I have friends who have hacked other
kinds of systems.  True hacking is in the mind of the hacker.