whitewig

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Wed Mar 16 15:02:55 CST 2005

The white hats are the good type of hackers.  The black hats are the bad
crackers.  Think of an old black and white western if you need a mnemonic
device.  The bad guys always wore black.  The good guys always wore white
(that stayed amazing clean in the dirt!).

On a side note - we pretty much have to accept the general media
distorting the term hacker has modified the definition to the point that
it has a new meaning that may not be a good one.  We don't have to *like*
it though.  It just means that it will have another definition entry in
the dictionary and you have to take the word in context to determine the
correct meaning.  It is how language evolves.

On another side note - If a person calls themselves a hacker - they aren't
a hacker.  It is like a person calling themselves sexy or the best thing
out there.  It is a term that has to be given to you by another.  I just
put in this side note as I have had two people call themselves that in the
past week in conversation with me.  Hubris.  Yuck.