Semi-OT: Programming Question

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Fri Mar 11 11:14:53 CST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Gerald Combs wrote:

> D. Hageman wrote:
>>
>> Seriously, interpreted language?  pfft.  Big difference between python,
>> perl, scheme, lisp, etc. and C#.
>
> Let's see:
>
> rufus:/home/gerald$ find /usr/lib -name \*.pyc | wc -l
>   1453
>
> What's the difference between a pile of modules on my system that have
> been precompiled for Python's bytecode interpreter and a bunch of C#
> modules that have been precompiled for the .NET CLI (or a bunch of Java
> modules precompiled for the JVM?)

I would go for the fact that you can mix and match modules compiled for
the CLI as opposed to sticking to one language (theoretically).

The precompiled python modules are just a intermediary step python uses to
speed things up.  They don't have to exist for python to be able to work.
I can't comment more on them since I can't tell you what is exactly
contained in each file.

I guess the main thing for me is that I can't sit down at any command line
tool and iteratively interact with an interpretor writing C#.  I can't
send any a command line tool a single line of C# code and get back an
evaluation.  I suppose you could theoretically make one, but it would be
very limited in its uses.

Seriously, I do not group C# into realm of interpreted languages.  I would
agree that the line is blurring now that we are starting to see the
compilers for interpreted languages, but one can still use those
interpreted languages as a simple tool to assist in quick shell tricks.

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||