a simpler Gentoo

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Mar 2 12:14:14 CST 2005

Yep.  Stage 3 install.  I only mentioned the article because of someone talking about Gentoo in IRC last night.  It's not my bag since I'm getting better with Debian-based distros, but to each their own.

Not sure what to tell you on the power saving lib  problems on your Mepis.  If you bring it in then I could have a look or one of the many Debian gurus could help.

JClinton helped me determine that I need a Debian that is not mixed (apt-pinned) stable, unstable and testing in order to compile KISO.  I mentioned it before, it's an ISO editor like WinISO that I'd like to have, but there are only RPMs and sometimes not even those.  I'm prolly going to see if I can set my Mepis desktop to just unstable in order to compile this small but complex app.

You might want to try the new SimplyMepis 3.3 that just was released on the 25th.  Download from Mr. Bass' FTP mirror.  1Mb/s!

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <> 03/02/05 11:46AM >>>

Gentoo in a straight-jacket, interesting.
It looks like they are using the precompiled version
of Gentoo, if I'm reading it right.