a simpler Gentoo

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Mar 2 11:46:54 CST 2005

Gentoo in a straight-jacket, interesting.
It looks like they are using the precompiled version
of Gentoo, if I'm reading it right. I have three issues
with going back to Gentoo. Sometimes they "freeze"
an application for whatever reason. I always have trouble
finding out how to unfreeze it and can't remember if I've
ever successfully done so. Secondly, sometimes I need to
install an application that uses a frozen app, because
the developer hasn't updated his system or has the app
unfrozen on his. Third and last, I've had my gentoo systems
actually get fubared more than once from some funky thing
I've done with portage. I am now running debian systems
all greater than 1 year with no mishaps, no unfixed failed
installs, no fubared update systems.

I do have one issue with my version of debian, there is
some dynamically loaded power saving libraries that I
uninstalled that the system sometimes complains about
not being able to find. I have looked for where these could
be and haven't been able to determine where Mepis configured these
items and uninstalling failed to remove these things, which
tells me the Mepis people did some custom configuration stuff.
I admit, I haven't looked to hard to find it, just in /etc and
in the library database. After next week when I'll have lots of
free time, maybe I'll hunt it down (anyone want to adopt a soon to be
out-of-work programmer?).

Brian Densmore