SInce we're on Laptops

Ben Kelley blk6224 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 01:59:54 CST 2005

The advantage of the via processor line is    small footprint,  low
voltage requirements, and low cooling requirements.
I use a via c3 800mhz fanless in my freebsd box at home that is
basically a shell server.
It suits the purpose, and don't use too much power and gives off
almost no noise.
I also have an 80w dc-dc power supply for it, but I'm not using it
right now, so I could actually make it silent other than the drive
spinning.

I previously used a c3 500mhz,  moving from 500mhz to 800mhz was quite
a difference, especially when generating ssh/ssl keys.  Supposedly
newer via  processor/board combos have a rng built in, but I haven't
really looked into if freebsd can interface it and how, but that would
speed up key generation quite a bit.  Thats the only thing I have
really found slow about the vias'.

http://mini-itx.com/  Sells boards and the dc-dc powersupplies,  even
as a bundle.  There is also a company in Austin Tx that sells quite a
few of the via boards, but the name escapes me at the moment.