SInce we're on Laptops

Leo Mauler webgiant at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 25 00:27:45 CST 2005

I don't know about the laptops, but my experience with
VIA CPUs has been that you take the stated CPU speed,
lets say 800Mhz, divide by two, getting 400Mhz, and
this is the speed it will actually run at.  It just
runs way too slow when compared to similar machines
(my 850Mhz Duron runs almost twice as fast as the 1Ghz
Via)

But if you're prepared to take the speed hit, go for
it, it sounds like a cheap option.

--- lerninlinux at comcast.net wrote:

> I've half been thinking about that Via laptop that
> Walmart sells.  Anyone have a Via processor that
> they have experience with?  By no means would it be
> a power machine, and the memory would be upgraded,
> I just want data portability, network diagnostics
> capibility, and a chance to play around with War
> Driving.  All but the Wardriving could be acheived
> by a modded Briefcase computer I've been threatening
> to build, out of an old 900 (either amd or intel ) I
> have.
>
> I've been looking to upgrade my machines possibly,
> but if this is a No on the Via, then I'll probably
> just wait as I am arguing with myself over an AMD 64
> desktop of Laptop for my next system.
>
> Thanks
> Randal

=====
And I always thought: the very simplest words
Must be enough. When I say what things are like
Everyone's heart must be torn to shreds.
That you'll go down if you don't stand up for yourself
Surely you see that.

  -- Bertolt Brecht