Dell

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Mon Jan 24 10:11:05 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 24, 2005 at 09:40:39AM -0600, Brian Densmore wrote:
> Compaq servers can also be purchased with Linux on them right?
> Compaq is now part of HP so you'd get all that Linux expertise
> with it.

FWIW, HP also sells the "HP Compaq nx5000" laptop with SuSE
pre-installed.  There was a review in LJ in the Jan 2005 issue.

> for servers out there. We have a few here and I got to say,
> I wish I could afford one. I tend to agree here. Dell wants to
> be on the Linux bandwagon, but only if ...
> Kind of like the guy sitting on the fence to see which of two
> fighting groups gets the upperhand. I think they are going to commit
> to being Linux supporters ... someday.

I think Dell wants to get in on the Linux trend/bandwagon if doing so
makes sense to their bottom line.  I don't think I'd want to pay 10%
more on the price of a server for extra support.

Maybe if Dell pre-installed SuSE Professional they could include an
option for purchasing extra support through SuSE at a discounted rate.
Or ditto with RedHat.

Jeremy