Laptop for truck driving job

D. Joe kclug at etrumeus.com
Sun Jan 23 13:55:11 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 10:34:27AM -0600, Monty J. Harder wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:47:51 -0600, Richard A. Franklin
> <raldenfranklin at everestkc.net> wrote:
>
> > Then I would use (gasp) Windows XP anyway, perhaps in a dual-boot
> > environment.
>
>   It's not really difficult to set up the XP boot loader to chain to
> LILO or GRUB.  The trick is to not install the Linux boot loader to
> the MBR.  Instead put it in /dev/hda3 or whatever, and dd the first
> sector of that partition to a file, and add a reference to that file
> in boot.ini:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /fastdetect
> c:\lilohda3.bs="LInux LOader on hda3"
>
> The only aggravation is that if I recompile my kernel, I have to
> repeat the process.

Yeah, that's what finally led me to abandon that approach--I
just got tired of the rigamarole and was too lazy to script it
and test it and rewrite it to the point where it wasn't a pain
anymore.  But that was all with LILO.  I'd guess that one could
avoid a lot of the hassle with GRUB these days, but I am but a
bean when it comes to using GRUB still.

--
Joe