Laptop for truck driving job

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sun Jan 23 09:46:37 CST 2005

I have had excellent results putting Linux on older IBM laptops, but
because of the wide variety of hardware, your results may vary.  I am
using a 10 year old 560X right now that I take to work.  It works better
than the manager 3 year old Dell desktop with XP.  It is faster, more
stable and I bought it used from a friend 5 years ago for less than $500.

Do a google search on linux compatible hardware.  Linux is a great way
(for me) to limit the impulse buying of computer stuff.  You need to do
your research before buying to make sure everything is compatible.  Also
check out the Linux computers online.  Several sources offer Linux
prebuilds that should be fairly stable.  Spring for the extra HD space
and get it dual boot.  There are still a lot of companies that have
invested heavily in the MS platform that are really slow about opening
up to other platforms.  While I have all the tool at home  to run 100%
linux and accomplish EVERYTHING I need to do, I find that I still have
to 'doze on the laptop from time to time.  That will change once I
figure out how to get FC3 installed on the laptop.