Version control for web sites...

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Jan 20 13:31:39 CST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:50:06 -0600
"Brig C. McCoy" <mccoyb at lindahall.org> wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm interested in implementing version control for our web site
> development work, including configuration files.
>
> We're on Redhat Enterprise 3 with Apache.
>
> I've worked with sccs in the past (hey, I'm old, deal) and still have
> the night terrors.
>
> Obviously cvs would do the job, but I'd like to find something less
> complicated for the Windows-biased members of my staff.
>
> Anyone have any experience with subversion? Any other suggestions?

  I've moved all of my personal code from CVS to subversion several
  months ago and love it.  It fixes a ton of the problems CVS had
  (renaming files, braching/tagging times, etc).

  Supposedly you can even setup a webdav share that people can write
  to that will increment versions on each write and put in a default
  log message.