OT: Free Wireless Internet in KC

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Jan 20 09:28:18 CST 2005

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:41:16 -0600
Dave Hull <dphull at insipid.com> wrote:

> Quoting Frank Wiles <frank at wiles.org>:
>
> >   Also, check out Sunflower's free wireless in lawrence:
> >
> >   http://www.sunflowerbroadband.com/internet/wireless/index.html
>
> You say this is "free"? As in beer? I thought one had to pay to use
> the Sunflower Hot Spots, is that really not the case?

  Yes they are free as in beer.  They used to be a pay service, but
  the business model just wan't there so we opened it up several
  months ago.  Maybe even a year ago.

> Btw, I see you're published (again) in February's Sys Admin Magazine.
> Nice work.

  Yeah it's the January issue as you mentioned. I try to write for them
  as often as I can find the time.  That and have a topic others would
  care to read about.  Sometimes the things I'm interested in writing
  about don't really appeal to a mass audience.  I'm starting to write
  a few things and will put them up on my side business' website in
  the near future.

  I told the mod_perl community I would write an article around the time
  mod_perl 2.0 was released to help renew interest in it.

> <shameless_slef_promotion>
> What's this article on Next Generation DHCP Deployments all about?
> </shameless_self_promotion>

  Ooh congrats. I'll make a point of reading it.  Definitely have to
  keep up on DHCP.