old hardware reminiscers support group

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 19 13:30:27 CST 2005

Go figure! Now there are ways of making clusters of engines,
but two isn't all that symmetrical (unless you're talking about
a two stage two rocket engine I wouldn't want to be near
one of those).  I'd think the minimum you'd want to combine
together would be about six in a cluster. Of course the number
really depends on how many it takes to completely encircle a
center engine.

> I did a model rocket that could be recovered at night,
> using a high-intensity flashlight bulb and a couple of
> N-size batteries in a clear payload.  We launched it
> around midnight on a cloudy moonless night.
A modern take on that would be one of those super bright white
leds with a nice big roundish solid plastic lens to throw out a
nice wide diffused beam.
Hey ,that sounds like a fun experiment.

But what about little sensors in the rocket, to track speed and altitude
and transmit to a land-based Linux server, running a graphical
plot of the rocket? Maybe even add a little spy cam to transmit
video back to the server?