old hardware reminiscers support group

Leonard, Phil Phil.Leonard at dsionline.com
Wed Jan 19 09:04:13 CST 2005

As for the contest in ancient tech- I
may be a placeholder by there possibly being an asr-33 in the bowels of
my storage barn unless it got thieved by former staff !
That asr had been used as a paper tape drive for a swtp 6800 my
classmate inherited in 1982.

Dang.  I used to have an asr-19, which is a model 15 with a model 14 paper tape reader/punch.  I gave it to a guy that had a collection of Teletype equipment several years ago.  As I remember it still had an old tape in the supply spool that had a date stamp of 1956.  I used to have this connected to an old Z80 CP/M box (Digital Group if anyone remember them) for a printer.  Nothing like switching a 120V DC current-loop from one pin of a parallel port to drive the monster (darlington pair).  Yee Haw, those were the days, writing the "driver" in Z80 assembly directly into the BIOS.  I still have the computer but the Teletype is long gone.

Philip