Pressing a button in linux is too complicated

D. Joe kclug at etrumeus.com
Thu Jan 13 14:11:57 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:21:14AM -0600, jeffslists wrote:

> In windows or any other sane desktop operating system if I want to open
> my cd-rom drive I press a button and it always opens, unless I'm burning
> a cd, and even then getting the drive to open is no problem.

Yeah, I read some similar carping from some Windows fans when
this subject came up on another list.

I then went to see what would happen if one ejects a piece of
removable media from Windows and file on that piece of media is
still being used.  For instance, I put a file on a floppy disk.
I opened the file, then ejected the floppy.  Now, guess what
happens if I edit the file and then hit "Save"?  It asks me to
re-insert the floppy.

Which is fine, unless in the intervening time I went home, took
the floppy, and left it there.  Or, if I FedEx'ed the floppy to
Singapore.  Oops.  Or if it was someone else's floppy, and
someone else's file that I ejected.  Or, as has been mentioned,
if some other process was using the file.

Most of the time, you're OK to just pull out a USB keychain
drive from a Windows box, though of course Windows will (rightly
so) complain that you can screw things up that way.  And every
once in a while, that does happen, and you lose your files or
lock up the system.

I'll bet you do all your work as root, because it's simpler.
No?  If not, why not?

--
Joe