best eye candy for Linux

D. Hageman dhageman at dracken.com
Wed Jan 12 09:47:07 CST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Brian Densmore wrote:

> tradition who am I to do it.). In fact even some of the "lighter"
> desktops can be loaded down with this eye-candy, were someone
> so inclined.
>
> But out of the box, Enlightenment will do the most to tax your
> graphics card and chew up your RAM. Why anyone would want to
> intentionally bog down their Desktop to make it as slow as they
> possibly can is beyond me, but such is the nature of freedom.

The reputation that Enlightenment eats up your resources is unfounded these
days.  It is left overs from the early days of enlightenment when it was a
hack on top of fvwm.  The current version of Enlightenment is slim
and fast out of the box.  Resource usage is also related to theme usage
obviously.

I just got done doing another tour of the desktop manager/environment.  I
went back to using just Enlightenment again.  The window managers for
Gnome and KDE are cute and all, but I don't really want to use up the
resources on my machines by running all those associated libraries and
daemons.

I never really did want the capability of embedding my sound editing
samples into my financial management program anyway ...

||  D. Hageman                    <dhageman at dracken.com>  ||