best eye candy for Linux

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Wed Jan 12 08:38:56 CST 2005

Well, I'll agree with that statement as long as we
qualify it. Enlightenment has the best eye candy out
of the box. But...

KDE and Gnome both have plenty of downloadable eye
candy. Both of these window managers can be customized
every which way from Sunday (whatever that means, kind
of like what does "dead as a doorknob" really mean when
you'd think "dead as a coffin nail" is a more appropriate
allusion, but if the mighty Dickens felt unworthy to challenge
tradition who am I to do it.). In fact even some of the "lighter"
desktops can be loaded down with this eye-candy, were someone
so inclined.

But out of the box, Enlightenment will do the most to tax your
graphics card and chew up your RAM. Why anyone would want to
intentionally bog down their Desktop to make it as slow as they
possibly can is beyond me, but such is the nature of freedom.

For KDE eye candy: look here.
www.kde-look.org

For Gnome you'll have to google on your own. I don't use it.