unmounting a volume

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Mon Jan 10 13:39:30 CST 2005

On Mon, January 10, 2005 11:34 am, Brian Densmore said:
> FYI: 2.6 is not a development kernel, per definition. 2.6 is
> the current "stable" kernel and 2.4 is the "deprecated" (or
> whatever they call it) kernel. I've had no major issues with
> 2.6, but not something I would use on a production machine.
> IIRC, there is no current development kernel? There is no
> 2.7 right? Any ideas when if they are going to begin work on
> the next development kernel? Or are they just going to keep
> tweaking 2.6 until it's really stable? Did they pull a Microsoft
> on us with 2.6? What's your /opinion?

Here's no 2.7 development tree because Linux hasn't forked it from 2.6
yet.  I think the plan is to keep plugging away at 2.6 before jumping to
2.7.  My opinion is that it is better to stablize 2.6 before rocking the
boat again.

And by defination, 2.6 is 'stable'.  I use 2.6 with udev, and it's just
too sweet.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>