unmounting a volume

Duane Attaway dattawaykclug at dattaway.org
Sun Jan 9 13:41:29 CST 2005

What do you do when you want to unmount a volume, but its BUSY by some
nonexistant process?

I had a USB drive mounted and the drive went into suspend.  It doesn't
wake up properly with this kernel and unmounting hangs the command line.
Syncing hangs too.  Unmounting with the -f option tells me umount is also
busy?!

root at dattaway dattaway # umount /v -f

umount2: Device or resource busy
umount: /v: device is busy

root at dattaway dattaway # fuser /v
/v:

The only thing I know how to do at this point is to guess and start
killing processes all the way to init.  There has to be a better way.

-=Duane
http://dattaway.org